The Facebookese: citizens of the 3rd largest ‘nation’ in the world
Socialnomics author, Erik Qualman, has updated his original social media stats video from last year. One of the changes is that if Facebook was a country, it would now be the third largest country in the world, having passed the US earlier this year. Another amazing statistic is that Facebook beats Google for weekly US Internet traffic which says a lot about the exponential growth of social media in the last year or so.
Other stats that stand our for me in terms of the implications for the education industry include the following:
• More than half of the world’s population is under 30;
• 96% of ‘digital natives’ are members of a social network;
• 50% of mobile Internet traffic in the UK is on Facebook;
• More than 100 hours’ worth of video is uploaded to YouTube during the 4:25 minutes it takes to watch the video; and
• Amazon sold more electronic books for the Kindle than physical books at Christmas … and this is before the arrival of the iPad!